You can apply for a Short-term study visa to study English language in the UK.

This visa is for English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months.

You can stay in the UK for the length of your course plus an extra 30 days as long as your stay is no longer than 11 months.

You must be 16 or older to apply.

To apply for Short Term Study visa, you must prove that:

  • you’ve been accepted onto an English language course that lasts 11 months or less and includes no other subjects
  • your course is with an accredited institution
  • you have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • you can pay for your return or onward journey

If you’re under 18 you must also:

  • have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
  • have the consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK

Your Course

Your English language course must be with an ‘accredited institution’.

This can be either:

  • an accredited UK institution
  • an eligible overseas provider, if you’re studying in the UK as part of an overseas course

Accredited UK institutions

An accredited institution must either have a student sponsor licence or have valid accreditation and be listed by one of the following:

Eligible overseas providers

You can also apply for a Short-term study visa if you’re studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your English language course is in the UK.

Your institution must:

  • hold its own national accreditation
  • offer no more than half of its educational program in the UK
  • offer programs that are equivalent to a UK degree

As a holder of a Short Term Study visa, you cannot:

  • study on any other course or change your course while in the UK
  • study at a state-funded school
  • work or carry out any business (this includes paid or unpaid work, work experience or work placements)
  • extend this visa
  • bring your dependent family members with you on this visa
  • apply for most benefits (public funds) or the State Pension

Fairmont Lawyers can provide you with professional legal assistance every step of the way to obtain a Parent of a Child Student visa.


It costs £186 for a Short-term study visa. You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your online application. It usually costs £470.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel to the UK.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK. A Priority Service may be available at an additional cost.