MARRIAGE VISITOR VISA
If you wish to have your marriage or civil partnership ceremony in the UK but you do not wish to stay and live in the UK, you can apply for Marriage Visitor visa for up to 6 months.
You do not need a Marriage Visitor visa to convert your civil partnership into a marriage – you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.
To satisfy the requirements of a Marriage Visitor visa, you must prove that:
- you’re 18 or over
- you’re free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
- you’re in a genuine relationship
- you’re visiting the UK for less than 6 months
- you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit
- you’ll not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home
- you’re able to support yourself during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
- you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else to pay for the journey)
- you have proof of any other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules
- marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival – you must use a venue licensed for this purpose
- pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)
- get public funds (benefits)
- bring your dependent family members – they must apply separately
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- extend your visa or switch to another visa
- work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings
Fairmont Lawyers can provide you with professional legal assistance every step of the way to obtain a Marriage Visitor visa.
You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
Your partner must apply for their own Marriage Visitor visa and pay the fee if you both need one. Your child will need to apply as a standard visitor if they need a visa.
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel to the UK.
A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £95.
You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. A Priority Service may be available at an additional cost.