If you are residing in the UK or applying for a Partner or Parent visa, and you have a child outside the UK, you can apply for a Child visa if you wish for your child to join you in the UK.

If you or your child’s other parent hold settled status or Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, your child may not need to apply for a Child visa. Instead, your child could be under EU Settlement Scheme or apply to settle in the UK.

A Child visa will be usually granted for the same period of time as your Partner or Parent visa. If your child was born in the UK, they will get the same period of time as your Parent visa. Your Child may be able to extend their visa at the same time as you apply to extend your Partner or Parent visa. Your child may also be able to settle in the UK.

Your child must be under the age of 18 and not live an independent life. This means that your child must not have left home or been married and have a family of their own.

Parent requirements

As a parent of your child, you must be over the age of 18 and reside in the UK or apply to reside in the UK as a Partner or Parent.

Other requirements

You will need to have sufficient funds for your child’s maintenance in the UK without recourse to public funds.

Once your child receives a Child visa, you should note that the following conditions will apply to your stay in the UK in this category.

You will be permitted the following activities on a Child visa:

  • Work and study in the UK
  • Extend a Child visa
  • Settle in the UK


You will not be able to do the following in the UK on a Child visa:

  • Claim public funds (most benefits)

Fairmont Lawyers can help you navigate the requirements and provide you with professional legal assistance every step of the way to obtain a Child visa.


If you are applying from outside the UK, you should make an application for a Child Visa no more than 3 months before you plan to be in the country.

For applications made within the UK, you should make an application for a Child Visa no more than 3 months before your current visa expires.

It takes around:

  • 12 weeks if you apply from outside the UK
  • 8 weeks if you apply from inside the UK

However, some delays may occur depending on your individual circumstances or the Home Office/UKVI.

You may be able to choose Priority Service, subject to availability. You will need to pay an additional fee to use this service, and the cost depends on the visa center.

The current visa application fee for a Child visa (from October 2021) is £1,523 if you apply from outside the UK and£1,033 if you apply from inside the UK (plus £19.20 for biometric enrolment if you are in the UK). The Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) is £624 per each year of the visa unless you are exempt. The Home Office regularly reviews its fees and these may be subject to increase in the future.

Please get in touch with us so that we can assess your individual circumstances and consider your options.