A Health and Care Worker Visa was launched in August 2020 to help healthcare professionals to come to the UK and work in an eligible job with the NHS or NHS-related bodies.

A Health and Care Worker visa offers fast track application processing, reduced visa fees and support from a dedicated team within the Home Office. As a health and care worker, you will not need to pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge fees as part of your visa application.

Your Health and Care Worker visa will be granted for up to 5 years, after which you may be able to settle in the UK.

To apply for this visa, you must be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional.

Your Home Office-approved NHS or NHS related employer must be able to provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) and suitable job occupation with the required salary level.


You must have sufficient funds of at least £1,270 for your maintenance in your bank account for 28 consecutive days before you can apply. You do not need to show maintenance funds if you have been in the UK for at least 12 months before you apply, or if your employer certified your maintenance on your CoS.

If you are applying with your dependent family members, you will need to show additional funds for their maintenance. You must have £285 for your dependent spouse, £315 for a dependent child, and £200 for each additional dependent child.

Other requirements

As with most visa categories, you must be at least 18 years old to apply and meet the English Language requirement.

Once you receive your Health and Care Worker visa, you should note that the following conditions will apply to your stay in the UK in this category.

You will be permitted the following activities on your Health and Care Worker visa:

  • Work for your sponsor in the job described in your CoS.
  • Take up second employment of up to 20 hours per week if your job is in the same occupation code and at the same level as your main job, or in a shortage occupation.
  • Take on voluntary work.
  • Study if it does not interfere with the job you are sponsored for.
  • Bring your dependent family members.

You will not be able to do the following in the UK on your Health and Care Worker visa:

  • Leave employment with your sponsor unless you wish to apply in-country to switch to a different employer that also holds a Sponsor Licence.
  • Claim public funds (most benefits)

Fairmont Lawyers can help you navigate the requirements and provide you with professional legal assistance every step of the way to obtain a Health and Care Worker visa.


Yes, your salary must be at least £20,480 – or more if your job’s ‘going rate’ is higher. The going rates for these jobs are based on the national pay scales set by the relevant independent body, for example the NHS. You can check the list of eligible jobs here:

Yes, you may be able to apply to settle in the UK after 5 years.

If you job is for 3 years or less, the fee is £232. If your job is for over 3 years, the fee is £464. The fees are the same regardless of where you apply and also apply to your dependents.

No, Health and Care Worker visa applicants and their dependents are exempt from paying the Immigration Health Charge.

It normally takes around 3 weeks to receive a decision on Health and Care Worker visa.