You may be able to visit the UK for a paid engagement if you’ve been invited as an expert in your profession.

To satisfy the requirements for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa, you must show that:

  • you’re 18 or over
  • you’re visiting the UK for no more than 1 month
  • you’ve been formally invited and paid by a UK-based organisation to attend an event or other permitted engagement
  • you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • you will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home
  • you’re able to support yourself during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else to pay for the journey)
  • you have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules

You can be invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:

  • be a student examiner or assessor
  • take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you’re invited by an education, arts or research organisation
  • give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role
  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you’re invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law
  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
  • take part in fashion modelling assignments
  • You can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings.

You cannot:

  • do paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home, other than what’s allowed by your visa
  • extend this visa or switch to another visa
  • live in the UK for extended periods
  • get public funds (benefits)
  • study
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application – they must apply separately

Fairmont Lawyers can provide you with professional legal assistance every step of the way to obtain a Permitted Paid Engagement Visitor visa.


You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel to the UK.

A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £95.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within3 weeks. A Priority Service may be available at an additional cost.