Standard Visitor’s Visa UK: Requirements and application

Standard Visitor’s Visa UK: Requirements and application

The Visitors Visa has now been replaced by the Standard Visitors Visa, the Standard Visitors Visa allows non-EEA citizens to travel to the UK for a defined period of time. The visa has replaced several other visas and has helped to streamline the system for ease of processing for the Home Office.


In this article, we look at the options for applying for a Standard Visitors Visa and the benefits of doing so. We also look at the eligibility requirements in detail.


Visiting for business


You can apply for a Standard Visitors Visa to the UK for business purposes as long as your trip fits the criteria below;


  • You’re coming to the UK for a conference, meeting or training
  • You want to take part in a specific sports-related event
  • You’re an artist, entertainer or musician and coming to the UK to perform
  • You are an academic and are doing research or accompanying students on a study abroad programme
  • You’re a doctor or dentist and are coming to the UK to take a clinical attachment or observer post
  • You want to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • You want to get funding to start, take over, join or run a business in the UK.


The Standard Visitors Visa is ideal for business people who need to come to the UK and allows them to do so as long as they adhere to do’s and do not’s as laid out further down the article.


Visiting for leisure


You can also use the Standard Visitors Visa for leisure, for example on holiday or to see your family and friends. You must be mindful to adhere to the rules as laid out in the next section and ensure you leave before your visa period expires. Any failure to adhere to the rules could end in your visa being withdrawn.


What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • Take part in any of the business-related activities mentioned in the Visitor Rules
    study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit
  • Take part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18)
  • Convert your civil partnership into a marriage
  • Pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)

You can’t:

  • Do paid or unpaid work
  • Live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • Get public funds – such as welfare benefits
  • Marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership


How long can I stay?


You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months though you may be able to stay for longer if you’re coming to the UK for private medical treatment for up to 11 months or if you’re an academic on sabbatical and coming to the UK for research.



How we can help


If you have any more queries regarding the Standard Visitors Visa or any other immigration query then get in touch today for help and advice from our immigration lawyers.