Spouse visa

The UK spouse visa, also known as marriage visa or settlement visa, allows a person who is a non-EEA national or married to a non-British citizen to live together in the UK. The spouse Visa permits you to live in the UK for up to 30 months. Subsequently, an application for further extension can ensue so long as you still meet the UK visa requirements. This then allows you apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). The visa applicant must ensure that they begin the application processes before traveling to the UK if they are outside the UK.
On several occasions, the settlement visa is refused as couples do not get ample information and advice on meeting the eligibility criteria for living together in the UK or go through immigration specialists for assistance; this is where we come in handy.


To apply for the spouse or marriage visa, applicants must ensure that they are patient to go through the prospective procedures as well as seek help to avoid refusal.

The eligibility criteria include:

  • Couple must be at least 18 years of age
  • They must have a befitting accommodation to live in the UK
  • They must have been legally married, have the intention of living together and have known and met each other before applying.
  • They must be able to produce a TB test result from the UK approved hospital.
  • They must be able to fend for themselves without dependency on public funds.
  • Both parties must meet the English Language conditions.
  • In a case of sponsorship, the financial proceeds must be met depending on who is being sponsored partner and/or child or children.

Financial requirement

Either party who intends to sponsor the spouse must ensure that:

  • The legalized source of income is established with proof of cash flow.
  • The acceptable combinations of sources in relations to the respective relevant duration.
  • They have evidence of the required source they are depending on if that be the case.

Once you have resided in the UK for a continuous period of five years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) but before you are granted the ILR, you will need to apply for the spouse visa on two different occasions which is issued for 30 months each. The first 30 months is given to you if you meet the requirements and an extension can be applied for upon stay in the UK.

If you have been refused the spouse visa, you may need to appeal for one. For assistance and more info on the marriage/spouse visa, get in touch with our immigration specialists on 020 3744 7437.