Financial Requirements for Spousal Visas

Financial Requirements for Spousal Visas

A common query for those looking to move to the UK on a Spousal Visa is how much do you need to earn in order to be eligible for the visa? Like most of the visa routes in the UK, it is going to depend largely on your personal circumstances. In this article, we look at the eligibility criteria for a Spousal Visa and how much you will need to earn or have in savings to be eligible for a Spousal Visa.


So how much do we need to earn to be eligible for a Spousal Visa?


The minimum requirement for a couple who are applying for a Spousal Visa is £18,600 this is for a straightforward relationship and does not cover children which have an extra cost involved as clearly you will need to earn more money to support them.


Do we need to prove our relationship?


Yes, you will be expected to provide documentation that proves that you have lived together for at least a minimum period of 2 years. The application pack will provide a checklist of acceptable forms.


How much money do you need to have to support your children?


You will need £3,800 for your first child and £2,400 for every other child thereafter this is on top of the £18,600 that is required for the Spouse.


Do I have to make this money from my earnings?


While you will be expected to show an amount of earnings that is conceivable to be able to look after such a family you can actually use savings in order to meet the requirement.


The Home Office will be looking to make sure that you can actually afford to look after your family in the UK and your earnings will make up a large part of this.


How long do you get on a Spousal Visa?


A Spousal Visa normally lasts 2.5 years and it is renewable as long as you are still eligible up to the point where would be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (normally 5 years).


What about my children who are born in the UK?


If your children are born in the UK then they can be added to the family visa. They are not necessarily entitled to stay. They will be entitled to the same length of stay as their parents.


In certain circumstances your children may actually help to improve your prospects and this is especially true if they were born in the UK. For more information please get in touch and we can help you further.


Where can I go for more helpful advice?


Our immigration specialists can help guide you through the Spousal Visa process. They can help with applications and if necessary represent you at an appeal.


So for more information or advice please get in touch and we can help you further.