EEA Family Permit: Who can apply?

EEA Family Permit: Who can apply?

The Home Office in the UK offers the EEA Family Permit, the permit is intended to make travel easier for those related to British citizens to enjoy easier travel within the EEA area. In this article, we take a look at the EEA Family Permit in more detail and discuss how to obtain one.


What is an EEA Family Permit?


The EEA family permit was brought into to make it easier for non-EEA family members to travel with their EEA citizen family members. There can be significant issues for those travelling together otherwise and the permit helps to relieve those issues.


How can I apply for an EEA Family Permit?


The permit is issued for 6 months and is applied for before travelling to the UK. There is a concession that if you still meet the eligibility criteria of the permit then you are not classed as “overstaying” even if the date on the permit itself has excited although you must apply for a residence card after the date of expiration on the card in order to retain your rights to remain in the UK.


What is the eligibility criteria for an EEA Family Permit?


As long as you fit into the following criteria then you should be able to apply for an EEA Family Permit;


  • The applicant is a family member of an EEA National (proof will be required)


  • The EEA National is residing in the UK in accordance with EEA regulations


  • They must also fit the usual terms of marriage (i.e. not a marriage of convenience)


As long as these criteria are met then an application should be relatively straightforward. If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible under the criteria as laid then please get in touch and we can help you.


What will happen after Brexit?


Unfortunately, Brexit is still the great unknown due to little being ironed out in the negotiations so far between the British Government and EU negotiators. As things stand, the UK will no longer be a member of the European Union in March 2019 and as such will no longer have freedom of movement with the rest of the EEA.


If this remains the case then there will no longer be the right to give out these permits and they will cease to be granted. It is likely that for those that are granted in the meantime, they will be honoured at least until the date of expiry of the permit. Past that we really do not know what will happen and will be able to clear things up as the negotiations are concluded.


How we can help


As Immigration Specialists we can help with EEA Family Permits and indeed any other immigration query that you have. If you have any more questions or need help then please get in touch and we can get to work on your query right away.