Adult Registration as a British Citizen

 Adult Registration as a British Citizen

There are specific circumstances in which people with certain eligibility criteria can simply register as a British citizen. The list is quite specific and as such is only going to apply to a very select group of people. In this article, we look at the eligibility criteria for registering as a British citizen and offer some practical advice on the process of registration. We also look at alternative options if you are not able to register as a British citizen.


Am I eligible to register as a British citizen?


You will be able to register as a British citizen if you satisfy any of the following criteria;


  • You have another form of British nationality


  • Were born before 1st January 1983 to a British mother


  • Born to a British father whether married to your mother or not


  • Born in the UK on or after 1st January 1983


  • Under 18 years of age and do not fit into any of the other categories


  • Have a connection to Gibraltar or Hong Kong


  • You are stateless


Why do these groups get special treatment?


Many of these groups are given privileges due to their connection to the UK. This is especially true when the applicant has a parent who is British. In the case of Gibraltar and Hong Kong, both of these territories have been under British rule at one time or another and have a link to the UK, while Hong Kong is no longer a British territory, it was up until 1997 when it was handed back to China. The UK chose to keep the link open for those who identified with their Britishness and wanted to become a citizen. As for Gibraltar, the “rock” as it is known is still under British rule and as such its inhabitants warrant the ability to receive the privilege.


I am not eligible via this route, what are my options?


Do not fret, you can also apply to become a British citizen by naturalization. With naturalization, you will need to meet the eligibility criteria which is based on your character and how long you have lived in the UK. You will also need to prove your knowledge of living in the UK with a test called “life in the UK” and is based on ideas that should be common to people who have lived in the UK for many years.


As long as you meet the eligibility criteria you should be able to make an application. For any queries with naturalization please get in touch and we can advise you further.


How we can help


As immigration specialist, we can help with your immigration and citizenship queries. Our experienced and knowledgeable staff can provide you with the right advice and support for your situation and get you the answers that you need. So, for more information or to start working with us, get in touch.